Rainier Buick's newest entry into the full sized sport utility vehicle market

04 Ranier Interior Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:29 PM
dfl
Default 04 Ranier Interior Electrical Problems

My 04 Ranier has developed a few serious electric problems, all at the same time. A few basics: 112,000 miles, no accidents, no winter salt (Florida driven), and well maintained in accordance with the manual. The transmission has been professional rebuilt by an Ammco shop.
Here's the symptoms: 'Service Airbag' appeared in the info center. The interior lights come on at random when driving. The doors unlock and the radio turns off at the same time the interior lights come on. Pushing the interior light override button will turn off the lights, but they come back on in 15 seconds or so.
The battery was replaced on the chance it was failing, but no change to the symptoms.
A Buick dealership looked at it, and installed a "body control module", but the symptoms appeared 2 miles down the road from the dealership, and $490 were wasted.
The dealership said they were stumped after a second visit.
Isn't there someone who can diagnose what electrical signal is triggering the computer to light the 'service airbag' light, turn on the interior lights, unlock the doors, and turn off the power to the radio?
Anyone out there have any ideas?

Old 02-03-2016, 09:03 PM
dfl

So here is an update to the problem. The dealership disconnected all the wiring harness connectors both under the back seat and in the engine compartment, applied di-electric grease, and reconnected everything. So far, the problem has not reappeared, but the 'service airbag' light is still on. The service tech says the airbag is a separate problem, and will require an airbag module replacement at a cost of about $600. I guess this warning light will stay on for a while. Thanks to all for this forum.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:13 AM

Wow, sounds like a primary ground is disconnected or broken somewheres and the circuits are trying to make completion through anyway they can. Have seen this phenomon in houses when the neutral/gnd is lost from the street xformer with the hot legs remaining intact.

If there were no problems prior to xmission work- I'd be looking there, it's always something simple these problems.