New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

tech needed

Old 02-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Default tech needed

Hi there, I'm new here.

I need to install a new thermostat in my 2002 Buick Regal.

What do I need to do?

Thank you

Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 PM

Am I correct , you don't know where it is located?
Before I suggest how to change it , please bring me up to speed as to why you need to change it. I always ask the whys because it just may be possible you may have a problem that changing the thermostat will not solve. Other than that all you need to do is follow the upper radiator hose down to the engine and the thermostat is located in the housing where the hose connects. Usually held by two bolts sometimes three. If you decide to remove the bolts anti freeze coolant will leak out so be prepared to catch it in something like a large open clean drain pan placed under the engine. Once the bolts are removed and the housing pulled away, you will see the thermostat. Some use a gasket , and some use an "O" Ring to make the seal. If you plan to do this get the thermostat first and see what it looks like and whether it uses a gasket or O Ring.
Just install the replacement thermostat facing the same direction as the one removed and make sure the mating surfaces of the housing and engine are clean. If up to this point you have decided to go ahead with this I will provide some additional suggestions to complete the job.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:52 PM

I figured that it was on the top radiator hose side, but I never have to do anything with the buick. it's my wifes car. I drive an work on my 89 Mustang GT.

The why is because the service engine soon light is on. So I took it to advanced auto to have them do a free diagnostic test and the code they gave me I googled and they also told me that it the thermastat.

the cars not over heating so it's proboly stuck open. I went to napa an got the thermastat. it's a 2002 Buick regal with a 3.8L V6. and I have no clue where the coolant drain plug is located. I had it on a lift and still couldn't find it. my step dad couldn't even find the drain plug.

I was considering just pulling the hose off at the engine an letting it drain out that way lol.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:48 AM

You couldn't find the plug because in most cases there is none provided and that's why I suggested just collect the coolant in a clean pan and if kept clean you might be able to reuse. You or your wife should have had a poor heater output complaint if the thermostat is stuck open. Can you tell me just what code you received , it just may be something else.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
You couldn't find the plug because in most cases there is none provided and that's why I suggested just collect the coolant in a clean pan and if kept clean you might be able to reuse. You or your wife should have had a poor heater output complaint if the thermostat is stuck open. Can you tell me just what code you received , it just may be something else.
The heater works just fine as far as I know. here's the code: P0128

So what your saying is there's no drain-plug so pull the hose to drain the system?
That's kinda dumb of GM.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:48 PM

From what I was able to check, your decision to replace the thermostat is good. I would suspect the thermostat is working erratically (sometimes) and that's why you have no heater complaint. As far as the coolant drain for the system I have to agree , it certainly wasn't done for the service person's convenience.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
From what I was able to check, your decision to replace the thermostat is good. I would suspect the thermostat is working erratically (sometimes) and that's why you have no heater complaint. As far as the coolant drain for the system I have to agree , it certainly wasn't done for the service person's convenience.

now I just have to find time to do it. I imagin the DEX coolant by prestone for GM vehicals is what I need. it's orange in cooler.
i'll be back if the light stays on after putting the new thermastat in.

Thank you for your help.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:52 AM

I hope you get back to this posting before you take on this job. There have been some problems with Dex-cool eating up gaskets and other problems. If you can, drain the system of Dex cool and use a standard green anti freeze. It may not be too late . Whatever you do don't reuse the Dex cool !!!! They also had some problems with coolant loss due to Dexcool. It ate away the intake plenum gaskets and caused big problems if not caught in time. If you want I can give you some instances of this.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:45 AM

good lordy that's messed up. I would use the Prestone green stuff that can mix with any anti-freeze then.

how many of the jugs of 50/50 mix will it take to fill the cooling system? and yeah I would like to know what is happening with the dex orange coolant.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:35 PM

Usually two gallons of straight anti freeze will be plenty when mixed 50/50.
A family member bought a 97 Buick and was going to do things right . So he drained the green anti freeze and put in Dex Cool ,and a short time later the vehicle started losing coolant but no leaks could be found. Then when it got bad enough and filled one of the cylinders and the vehicle had trouble starting that's when they found the leak. It was the intake manifold gaskets and also caused a problem at the back of the engine at the EGR ports because it attacked the plastic intake plenum. This info can be found on the net if you punch in Buick coolant leaks.
Anyway , if you haven't had any problems so far consider yourself lucky.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tech needed