New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

91 lesabre ac compressor clutch

Old 07-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Default 91 lesabre ac compressor clutch

I have a 91 lesabre, which at times has noise coming from the pulley and clutch, is it worth to replace the clutch or to get a new compressor?, because there is no issue with my ac. thanks

Old 07-27-2012, 12:11 PM

As long as you have enough room to change the clutch bearing, I would suggest doing just that.
Something to keep in mind your system probably has R12 which is better than R134A so I would stick with that . If the compressor and the system work fine other than the bearing noise why rock the boat. The bearing can be changed without opening the AC system.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:53 AM

Thanks that's what I figured too

Old 07-29-2012, 04:37 PM

R12 systems work great.The one thing that can wreak havoc on r12 is a leak,i agree best not to open the system.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:28 PM

This wouldn't cause a check engine light to come on periodically?

Old 08-03-2012, 04:08 AM

Not normally, but there might be a code stored in the computer that could direct you to the possible area. Do you know how to get any codes out using just a paper clip?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:18 AM

Not really I know you can see how many times it flashes but I don't know how to do that

Old 08-03-2012, 01:16 PM

This is how it is done.
You take a metal paper clip and shape it so the two ends come together to about 1/4 of an inch wide.
When you look at the diagnostic plug under the dash between the steering column and the center of the dashboard you will see 2 rows of slots. With the widest part of the plug being on the bottom you place the paper clip into the right hand top row 2 slots.
When you turn the key to the on position the check engine light will start flashing.
One flash, then two. This is a code 12 that tells you the system is capable of diagnosing itself.
After giving the code 12 tree times it will proceed to give any other codes stored.
It will give each code three times then go to the next on if there are more than one.
Once you get the numbers you can either post them here or plug into the internet and get the code explanations there. It was nice to do this because you didn't need any special tools, but not much info was available so then (1995) they went to the OBDII system and now you had to have a special tool to get the codes.

If you wanted to erase the codes all you had to do was pull the ECM fuse for a minute or two and replace it.
When the codes were erased this way or by (disconnecting a battery cable and losing the memory radio stations) the car sometimes idled funny until you drove it and the computer had a chance to relearn your driving habits. No big deal I assure you.

Last edited by hanky; 08-03-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the help it's an intermittent light going on and off periodically, happens sometimes while driving but I think it's nothing, if it was something, something would've went

Old 08-04-2012, 06:28 PM

That's one way to look at it.
If time permits you could always try the procedure so you're familiar with it then if it should become a steady CE lite then you would know what to do.
Once you understand the procedure and try it a CE lite won't cause any anxiety because you will know just how to find what area is causing the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 91 lesabre ac compressor clutch