LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

Evap codes P0442 and P0440 from defective Lesabre fuel filler tube

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 03:06 PM

Oh but of course! Your articles on this issue just seem to hit home and when two different people have the same issue with the same "caliber" of vehicle as mine, and speak of the fuel filler tube in such manner seems to convince me! I did this on Wednesday and here it is Friday. I guess we'll see what happens! Thanks guys!

Old 09-05-2017, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the writeup! I just got my car back from having the smoke test done and it was leaking at the filler neck. When those of you who replaced or repaired it (of those repaired ones that were pulled from the vehicle) in order to get it off did you have to drop the tank or were you able to pull that wheel well liner and get it off with the tank still in place? Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:10 AM

Think I'd try a new filler cap, maybe not OEM but suitable replacement (some nice locking, ETC out there). Also a twofold problem may exist; many times one of the hoses themselves are bad (not about to read all the many posts) and since the entire system is there to pull a vaccum back up through the engine for recycle of fumes; one area may show up, another not.

Know of 2 Boss Mustangs (other car) that had hoses burned right through from owner exhaust modifications, boy do the codes fly then......

Last edited by Rich B.; 09-06-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:22 AM

Take the rear wheel off, that's all. Now you can unbolt the ground wire and take the clamp off from the small end of the fuel filler pipe. The pipe will now come off the car.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 AM

Great info and advice guys! Thanks - same prob here.

It might be a little tough to get the filler pipe off - it's a tight fit and backing the top of the pipe back through the fender (where you fill up with gas) can be a bit tough, but you'll just have to bend the plastic pipe a little to get it out.

After liberally JB welding mine and it dried, I also wirebrushed the metal collar at the top and painted with Rustoleum Rust inhibiting primer.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:43 PM

Great Info, appreciate the pics!!
I think I'm in same boat on my 05', got a second check engine light after replacing cap. Probably not keeping car much longer, not because of this, it's just time for something new.
My question is it still OK to put on highway??

Old 01-11-2018, 04:03 AM
Cool

These go back a few years. The only problems I would see driving is a vaccum leak(s), perhaps gas fumes smell (it's closed system), poor engine performance associated with low vaccum, codes activation and not passing emissions testing of coarse.

But if it's drivable for a short period of time and need to use the car, I'd probably give it a try myself. Can't vouch for Buicks but in general cars can be still driven even with problems and if driver street smart is used.

Also maybe those codes must be manually reset. Usually owner's manual will advise on reset sequence or sometimes just disconnect battery for say 5 minutes......

Last edited by Rich B.; 01-11-2018 at 04:12 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:42 PM

Crazy thing, service engine light was not on this AM. It's was like 15 below with the wind chill; could the weather have cleared the error.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:45 AM

I was never that fortunate to have codes disappear for no reason. Wonder if with the cold, snow and slush that the problem is froze up and sealed off for now?

Old 01-12-2018, 09:15 PM

Yeah!! Service Engine light is back but getting different code....P0171 - OBD-II Trouble Code Fuel System Too Lean (Bank 1)
I was hoping for the same P0442 error. Auto parts tech said possible bad O2 sensor or it could be water in gas line, recommended SeaFoam' I tried... will see in the AM.

Quick Reply: Evap codes P0442 and P0440 from defective Lesabre fuel filler tube