I had received a request from hanky
to post up the walk-through for replacing the heater core on a LeSabre, so here it is. Enjoy!
1) Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2) Drain the cooling system into a clean container for reuse.
3) Remove the heater hoses from the heater core.
4) Remove the right sound insulator.
5) Disconnect all necessary electrical connectors and remove the instrument panel compartment.
6) Remove the temperature valve actuator.
7) Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the HVAC programmer.
8) Remove the heater core cover-to-heater assembly screws and the cover.
9) Remove the heater core-to-heater assembly screws and the heater core.
Heater hoses and clamp positions**
: Heater core cover**
1) Install the heater core and the heater core-to-heater assembly screws, then, tighten the screws to 12 inch lbs. (1.4 Nm).
2) Install the heater core cover and the cover-to-heater assembly screws, then, tighten the screws to 12 inch lbs. (1.4 Nm).
3) Install the HVAC programmer and connect the electrical connector.
4) Install the temperature valve actuator. (ref #7 in the diagram below)
5) Install the instrument panel compartment and connect any necessary electrical connectors.
6) Install the right sound insulator.
7) Install the heater hoses to the heater core. (ref #22 in the diagram below)
8) Refill the cooling system.
9) Connect the negative battery cable.
10) Operate the engine to normal operating temperatures; then, check the climate control operation and check for leaks.
*diagram courtesy of gmpartsgiant.com; all rights reserved