LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

1995 Buick Lesabre 3.8 V6. Need help with removing the timing chain cover, leaking an

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Default 1995 Buick Lesabre 3.8 V6. Need help with removing the timing chain cover, leaking an

Hi guys,
I have an antifreeze leak in my 1995 buick lesabre. I changed the water pump and gasket thinking thats where the leak was coming from. Last year I changed the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. So I've washed everything down and found that the antifreeze leak is showing up at the corner of the oil pan gasket under the timing chain cover. Now I did put on thread sealer on the longer water pump bolts but I do believe the gasket for the timing chain cover is leaking. The antifreeze leak is NOT coming from the new water pump gasket.
I need help with the process of getting to the timing cover, I know how to remove the side motor mount, jacking up the motor to remove the water pump etc., however I don't know how to remove the harmonic balancer and I don't know if i'm better off buying a new harmonic balancer to replace the old one I take off?
Are there a few oil pan bolts that thread into the bottom of the timing chain cover? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-18-2016, 08:53 PM

Anybody give you an help yet?

Old 01-18-2016, 09:40 PM

Do you plan on doing the work yourself, etc.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:23 AM

no help yet, I will be doing all the work myself. The biggest challenge is removing the harmonic balancer without damaging it....

Old 01-19-2016, 02:17 PM

Describe what you can do and what do you need, so that I can fill in the blanks.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by VanBuren
Describe what you can do and what do you need, so that I can fill in the blanks.
So I am able to jack up the motor, remove pressure off the motor mount, remove motor mount, remove belt, water pump, etc. I don't know how to remove the harmonic balancer. I don't know if there is a bolt coming from oil pan that holds the timing chain cover in place. I don't know if I need to remove the oil filter housing? Is the oil filter housing mounted to the side of the timing chain cover? How do I reinstall the harmonic balancer as my guess is it will need to be pressed back on carefully without a using a mallet. Thank you for your help!!

Old 01-21-2016, 01:27 PM

I'm waiting for some ink to feed my printer which I expect to get late today. I will make you some pics from my manuals that might give you answers to your questions. I have a problem of my own that will, to some extent, replicate what you will have to do. I might have to replace my crank sensor which includes removing the balancer and I'm hoping it just might be a connector. Keep mind that the pulley and balancer are together (one) and your biggest hurdle will be taking the bolt out that holds it on. Some guys have recommended an impact tool and of course, the other thing is what's in the book which is a wrench affair that holds the flywheel while you put pressure on that bolt so the engine doesn't turn while you are doing it. That means you will have to jack up the car in front so you can access the flywheel cover to get at the flywheel. The pictures will say a lot.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by VanBuren
I'm waiting for some ink to feed my printer which I expect to get late today. I will make you some pics from my manuals that might give you answers to your questions. I have a problem of my own that will, to some extent, replicate what you will have to do. I might have to replace my crank sensor which includes removing the balancer and I'm hoping it just might be a connector. Keep mind that the pulley and balancer are together (one) and your biggest hurdle will be taking the bolt out that holds it on. Some guys have recommended an impact tool and of course, the other thing is what's in the book which is a wrench affair that holds the flywheel while you put pressure on that bolt so the engine doesn't turn while you are doing it. That means you will have to jack up the car in front so you can access the flywheel cover to get at the flywheel. The pictures will say a lot.
Ok thank you for all your help. I don't believe the balancer turning and or the engine turning should matter. It shouldn't hurt anything unless I'm wrong. I do have an impact gun to remove the bolt, need to remove the passenger side tire and inside plastic mud gaurd to get to the balancer. I'll look into the engine turning being a problem but putting a screwdriver into the flywheel teeth could brake a tooth off while trying to remove the balancer bolt.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:27 AM

I'm unable to open your image, my computer continues to try to open it but it can't. thank you though for doing this extra work/help for me....

Old 01-23-2016, 03:31 PM

I figured that. I am having an issue with PDF vs JPG. You can't add anything here without going to an image host and I am trying to find the right one. I'll get it.

Quick Reply: 1995 Buick Lesabre 3.8 V6. Need help with removing the timing chain cover, leaking an