General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Replacing 2001 Buick LeSabre instrument cluster and DIC buttons

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Default Replacing 2001 Buick LeSabre instrument cluster and DIC buttons

I have a base model 2001 Buick LeSabre with a standard instrument cluster (no tach, etc). I would like to upgrade the instrument cluster to a version I acquired from a junkyard that has a tach. I have done this successfully with older vehicles but I am worried there might be some sort of security systems built into this newer vehicle that would have a problem with this transplant. Has anyone done this successfully on a 2001 Buick LeSabre? I am also thinking of swapping out the 2 button basic Driver’s Information Center buttons with the full 5 button version in hopes that the sensors are already installed just available to report on the basic version. If you have any experience on this type of transplant, I would appreciate any input also.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:54 AM
Default Replacing 2001 Buick LeSabre instrument cluster and DIC buttons

rnSounds fascinating, something I would love to do, in the summer, I will check out the website, but I am really interestedrn

Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Default Follow-up

The short version is that I was not able to complete the task.

Here are the details.

I own the 2001 mfg service manual so I had complete schematics.

The first issue I noticed is that the tachometer feed was not wired in my base model. The source of the tachometer may have existed but I encountered other issues before I even got that far.

The next issue noticed was that the wiring for the 2 button DIC uses socket numbers that are wired different vs. the 5 button DIC model. The plug in the base model does not have all of the sockets populated so I solved this problem with a trip to the junk yard. I harvested a plug from a tachometer console model. I wired the new plug (which I harvested with 12" leads) in parallel with the existing plug. I'm glad I did so I did not have to undo my new soldering AND re-solider my cut wires from the old connector. Once connected the existing options (KM/MI & Trip reset) worked with the new 5 button DIC but most of the other options did not (like oil pressure, etc.).

This was quite a let down as the schematics seemed to indicate that the switches are direct to the console. More research later seems to indicate that the switches cause the console to send a single down the vehicle bus which causes the console to change the display. Only a guess, if someone can verify that would be appreciated.

The tachometer console when connected (oh yeah, the base model also does not include all of the socket connections needed for the tachometer console so I harvested one from a junk yard also) did function for speed (both MI and KM) but as the 5 button DIC would not reset the information display it continued to display the last information message.

My wife drives a 2001 with the tachometer console so I plan on just using the 5 button DOC and the tachometer console as replacements for her vehicle if needed but all things considered right now it was a $100 gamble that did not pay off.

If you achieve any success please let me know what you tried and what worked.