General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1990 Century Custom won't keep running

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Exclamation 1990 Century Custom won't keep running

Hello,

I'm new here. I just bought a 1990 Century (3.3l w/ac) and it has a problem with the engine stalling.
The car only has 100K on it (old couple in FL) and is amazingly clean.
AC runs cold!

Looked like a great buy till it died on the highway.
I replaced the fuel filter, the fuel pump, bought a new relay and tried it in all 4 relay spots (fuel pump relay is not marked and my Haynes book is useless on this).
It will start after it rests a bit but cuts out almost immediately, and definitely once you try to hit the gas.
I also disconnected a 4 wire connection to the trans - near top, front under the air cleaner filter. I read elsewhere that the torque converter clutch might be causing this and that is where they said the connector was. (Apparently the TCC is not needed but can cause a problem like mine)
Not sure if it was the right 4 wire connector.
Disconnecting it did nothing.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:38 AM

I actually liked it. The story was good, but I have to say the punctuation was awful. Sometimes, I couldn't understand what you were trying to say because commas and such were missing. And also, working on your diction a little wouldn't hurt. But, all in all, I enjoyed reading it and I hope you get it published when you finish.