Electra/Park Avenue Buick's full size premium car manufactured between 1959 and 1990

Supercharger Noise

Old 08-19-2005, 03:01 PM

I have a 99 Park Ave Ultra, I have owned this car for three months now, I have just noticed a strange, gurggleing, grinding sound that appears to be coming from the supercharger area.It is not very loud, you have to listen for it.I just had the oil changed, (Not at Dealer) I was told that the supercharger has it's own oil supply, and that also must be changed, is that true ? Other than that the car runs fine. When I purchased the car the " ABS & TRAC OFF" lights where on. Are these two conected. I would like to get some ideal about this before going to the dealer. Thank You[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2005, 04:00 PM

The Supercharger does have its own oil supply. I don't believe it needs to be changed as a regular maintenance item, but the level should be checked. There is a plug in the neck of the supercharger. You should use synthetic oil.

Yes, the ABS and traction control are related. And, unfortunately they can be very expensive to fix. Although they may not do anything at this point, I would try to go back to the place of purchase and complain.

There was a recall which could affect this on your vehicle. Also, for what it's worth, my '97 Ultra had those lights come on and the Buick dealer replaced the rear wiring harness at a cost of about $300. Seems like too much to replace some wires, but at the time, Iwanted to get it fixed quickly. Apparently this car sometimes has some rubbing between the wires and suspension.Edited by: MrBSS

Old 08-20-2005, 09:59 PM

Thank You, [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]Would you happen to have the information regarding the recall ??.. Did you have that sound coming from the super charger ??

Old 08-22-2005, 12:20 PM

Look up any recalls involving your cars at www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Have your VIN available.

No, I don't have that noise. Are you sure it's not the water pump?

Old 09-11-2005, 05:16 AM

When GM went to the series II 3800 they stopped using it own oil supply
and went to using the oil from the motor. There are 2 oil lines in the
back of the supercharger (They look like brake lines) Until then they
used there own sump. Don't use regular oil even synthetic unless you
want to change it every time you change the oil. Supercharger oil is
available at the Buick Dealer and is made of fatty acids. (Animal fat)
and lasts about 50,000 miles. That's why it smells so bad when you take off the cap.

Does the Supercharger make a light "Knocking" noise?

If it does the Supercharger Coupler needs replaced.

Edited by: firefighter0029

Old 09-12-2005, 12:49 PM

I am interested in your post because I need to change the supercharger oil on my '97 Ultra (3800 Series II). I also own a '92 Ultra, which I have rebuilt the supercharger on. I am not as familiar with the '97, because I just recently bought it.

It sounds like you are saying the series II uses engine oil. Maybe later ones do, but mine seems to have its own supply. It does recommend the oil you mentioned.

Do you know how to get the old oil out?

Old 09-12-2005, 06:17 PM

I used a turkey baster. Or you can tear apart a spray bottle and spray
the oil out of the superchager. Watch out!!! That sh*t really stinks.
The supercharger oil is.....GM Vehicle Care SuperCharger Oil 12345982.
GM kinda screws you on this one because they don't quite give you
enough in one bottle to fill it. So you'll have 3/4 of a bottle left
over when you buy 2. At the Buick Garage here I think it it was around
$8.50 a bottle.

www.gmpartsdirect has it too for $3.95 a bottle but the shipping sucks.

Thats weird because my buddy has a 97 or 98 Regal and the supercharger uses the oil from the motor on his.

Edited by: firefighter0029

Old 09-12-2005, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was planning on using the spray bottle, but I thought there might be a little more "elegant" way.

I guess the turkey baster would be easiest. Did it get down fully, or does it leave some in the bottom?

Old 09-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Administrator

perhaps check around online for an off brand oil, or on ebay for the GM stuff?

Old 09-13-2005, 12:11 PM

Well I'm reluctant to put anything but the GM stuff in, since I don't know exactly what's in it. Maybe I can save $10 or so, but if I have to rebuild my supercharger prematurely, it certainly won't be worth it.

An eBay or Google search is worth a try. Also, I think GMpartsdirect may be worthwhile if I need to buy some other parts at the same time (or do they still charge a fixed "shipping cost" on each item?).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharger Noise