Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within...

Car drying technique?

Old 11-25-2009, 06:08 AM
Default Car drying technique?

Its really a very lengthy task to dry a car after washing. I usually spend like 2 hours drying my car with the help of California water blade, absorber, and micro fiber towels. Recently I was told to use electric leaf blower for drying the car. But I am confused about this technique. May be the air forcibly lead to some paint damage. Before try this, I need your views on this technique from your own experiences.

Thanks.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:08 PM

My reply is a little beyond post date but anyways. Leaf blowers work great, even 2 cycle gasoline type. Start from top and finish around the car in a circle getting wheels last. Don't use unless car is parked on a clean wet from washing paved or cement surface, otherwise all kinds of debris will get blown around on a clean car no less.

On nice days in ME if it hits 40deg. F, middle of winter I'll use a chamois as a lot of wet sand is present in driveway from hosing wheel wells and underside of car. Then I have to sweep any puddling water and empty the standing water in the hose afterwards before the sun goes around back and everything freezes.

Last edited by Rich B.; 12-30-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:47 AM

More on an old thread.
ive considered the leaf blower for quite awhile. After all the no toutch car washes have a couple minute blow dry cycle.

now with my RoadMaster wagon I have two big classic cars to wash and dry. I live in an apt building and we do have a car wash stall. With both cars to wash and clean I can tie up the stall the better part of the day. Plus I really would rather be out cruising.

so I’ve considered one of these battery powered leaf blowers. There is an electrical outlet near the wash stall so I could give the batter a quick boost if necessary. I have to check Harbor freight for an electric blower. It would save half the time at least.

Our water is really “hard” so it’s necessary to get the water off or it will spot easily.

Byron