Century Buick's mid sized affordable sedan

Transmission Issues

Old 06-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Default Transmission Issues

Hi, I'm looking for some guidance for the issues I'm having with my Century.

I have been experiencing shuttering and slipping in first gear even after a rebuilt transmission was placed in it by a reputable shop that we have had no issues with in the past. (These problems were happening before the swap as well).

I've also experienced what seems like a lag in full traction in my transmission. I'll be in first gear speeding up, or even second gear as well, and it will feel like my car has power and it is accelerating, though slower than normal, and then a few seconds later it will feel like it catches full traction in the transmission and be back to normal. Sometimes there will be a thud or at least a noticeable noise or feeling.

When we brought the car in initially to have the transmission replaced the torque converter passed the test it had done on it. I'm wondering if this part is the issue at all?

Also, for many years I have not completely stopped when switching from R to D. I've been switching gears at 2-3 mph, but I'm curious if that has some effect on the performance of the transmission.

Any suggestions you might have as to why I'm having this problem and any possible solutions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

Old 06-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

How long ago was the rebuild and did they give you a warranty period? Yeah fwd to rwd gear while moving is not good on a trans. Have you also checked your fluid level?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 AM

Yes, 3-yr warranty, 100,000 mile. Fluid level is fine. Any thoughts on the torque converter or other parts?