BF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with BF? Ask... Have a suggestion to better BF? Tell us here...

Buick Skylark - key won't turn

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Default Buick Skylark - key won't turn

My daughter's 1998 Buick Skylark won't start. The key only turns far enough for lights and accessories to come on. It does not turn to the point where the engine will try to turn over. \r\n
The first of the year, the key would not turn at all. I was driving it here in Indiana as she took my car back to Chicago as it had more room to move things. My mechanic took the ignition cylinder out and took it to GM dealer. They found out a new key was all it needed. My mechanic said to warn her not to hang too many keychains off of the key as over time that can wear the key down. She had been driving the car just fine until the other night.
As her Mom, I am concerned that she not get taken advantage of by mechanics where she doesn't know their history or honesty. Can you give me any advice?

Old 07-01-2015, 08:19 AM

It sounds like your problem isn't the key to the car but the ignition that the key goes into. Sometime the tumbler can go bad inside the ignition, causing symptoms as you have described. You probably will need to get a new ignition from your local dealer and have it installed, you can use the same key.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:23 AM

Sometimes the key mechanism will jam up if the steering wheel, wheels are turned too extreme one direction or the other. Thus binding up the start turn key function. Also again (another post too) spray some WD40 into key slot, may be a slight mechanical sticking. Post is 7 years old lol.