Regal (1973-2004) Buick's sporty mid-sized sedan

’’96 Regal starts then dies....

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:47 PM

No codes shown, no CEL. Engine starts right up, then dies. If you pump the gas it is really hard to start. The fuel pump runs with the key on and when the engine dies it runs until the pressure builds up. This just started 2 days ago. I checked all the electrical connections and all seemed okay. I have not checked the fuel pressure, but when I press the schrader valve it shoots out pretty good. I was told the oil pressure sending unit could be bad and the engine thinks there is no oil pressure. Any help?

Old 12-03-2008, 11:25 PM

Fuel shooting out of the Schrader valve isn''t a reliable indicator of satisfactory pressure, but it''s a start. Are you implying that the engine runs until the fuel pressure drops and then the pressure builds back up after the engine has stopped? That''s sort of what you wrote. Maybe you have a badly clogged fuel filter.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the help. I bypassed the fuel pump relay so it ran constantly. Still starts and instantly dies. Starts right back up and dies again. I also disconnected the battery for a couple of hours to reset the computer. Same results.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:25 AM

How long does it run before it dies? It would be helpful to monitor the actual fuel pressure. It would also be helpful to monitor for the presence of a spark, say with a timing light attached to any HT lead. It''s either running out of gas or it''s losing the spark.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:59 PM

It will start and die within a few seconds correct?

It sounds like the fuel pump resistor went out.

On my 98 GSits located under the front bumper cover by the windshield washer fluid. Dealership might have to order, it was around 50 bucks.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:14 PM

Well, I jumpered the relay so it ran all the time, same results. Jumpered resistor, same results. Jumpered oil pressure sending unit, same results. Finally had it towed to a shop. Next morning, the guy goes out, starts right up and runs fine. Let it sit 3-4 hours, starts right up, run fine. Drove it around, no problems....WTF????

Told him to keep it over night and try again in the morning. Ever felt just plain unlucky????

Old 12-12-2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Superdave

Well, I jumpered the relay so it ran all the time, same results. Jumpered resistor, same results. Jumpered oil pressure sending unit, same results. Finally had it towed to a shop. Next morning, the guy goes out, starts right up and runs fine. Let it sit 3-4 hours, starts right up, run fine. Drove it around, no problems....WTF????

Told him to keep it over night and try again in the morning. Ever felt just plain unlucky????

Okay, picked up car. Ran great, no problrems for 2 days. Then back to the same old crap, but a new twist, code 0306, misfire cylinder # 6. Cleared it, original prolem, starts, dies. Code returned!!Edited by: Superdave

Old 12-12-2008, 06:52 PM

The problem is more profound than a single cylinder misfire. That might be an effect, but it''s hard to believe that it''s the cause of the problem.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:55 AM
Default Did u ever get that regal started? Im have the same problem with mine............

Did u ever fix your car mines doing the same thang

Old 12-28-2020, 12:18 PM

Until you can do some detailed checking, check for loose or poor wire connections at the crank sensor.
The computer requires a crank signal (RPM) in order to keep the fuel pump relay energized. If the signal drops off, the relay opens and engine shuts down due to lack of fuel.
Might be a good idea to verify fuel pressure is up to spec.